SECTION – 06073 – FIRE RETARDANT OSB BOARD
PART 1 – GENERAL
1.01 SECTION INCLUDES
A. Fire-retardant treated OSB Board for use in the following applications:
- Roof sheathing.
- Wall sheathing.
- 2 hour rated wall assemblies (Type III framed construction)
1.02 RELATED SECTIONS
A. Section 06100 – Rough Carpentry: Additional product requirements for OSB board to be treated.
B. Section 06200 – Finish Carpentry: Additional product requirements for OSB board to be treated.
C. Section 06400 – Architectural Woodwork: Additional product requirements for OSB Board to be treated.
A. American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
- ASTM E 84 – Standard Test Method for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials, extended to 30 minutes
- ASTM E 119 – Standard Test Method for Fire Tests of Building Construction and Materials, one hour and two hours
- ASTM E 108 – Standard Test Method for Fire Test of Roof Coverings
- ASTM D 5516 – Standard Test Method for Flexure Properties of Fire Retardant Treated Softwood Plywood Exposed to Elevated Temperatures
B. Underwriters Laboratories
- UL 723 – Test for Surface Burning Characteristics of Building Materials
- UL 1715 – Fire Test of Interior Finish Material
A. Submit under provision of Section 01300.
B. Product Data: Submit product data, including manufacturer’s product sheet.
C. Samples: Supply samples for finishing where finish samples are required by other sections of the specifications.
D. Closeout Submittals: Submit the following:
- Warranty: Warranty documents specified herein.
1.05 QUALITY ASSURANCE
Manufacturer complies with requirements of independent third party inspection agency, including submittal of test reports and data demonstrating successful treatment. Additionally, manufacturer is inspected on a quarterly basis.
1.06 STORAGE AND HANDLING
Store panels in clean, dry areas off the ground to protect from weather conditions, condensation and other forms of moisture. If stored outside cover with tarps or plastic covers. Make every effort to protect from moisture and condensation.
Manufacturer’s warranty: Provide manufacturer’s 20-year warranty for all recommended applications. This warranty is an addition to, and not a limitation of, other rights the Owner may have under Contract Documents.
PART 2 – PRODUCTS
B. Substitutions: Not Permitted.
A. Fire retardant OSB Board.
- The board should bear the following marks.
- Manufacturer’s name.
- Product name.
- Identification of independent inspection agency
- Treatment date
- Batch number
PART 3 – EXECUTION
A. Comply with manufacturers standard instructions and conform to other sections governing products made of wood and applicable codes.
- Use grades as specified and sizes based on manufacturer’s published design values.
- Comply with manufacturer’s safety recommendations.
B. Do not install treated board that is wet.
C. Provide ventilation of building cavities as required by code.